Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Lord of the Rings- Fellowship of the Ring

For Christmas my husband asked that I read the Lord of the Rings books. It was free (minus 50 hours or whatever my mom pointed out) and he really wanted to so I said yes. The, a couple days after I cracked open the first book I dusted off a book I'd picked up at a book signing a few months ago. It was shiny and red and sounded interesting though I didn't know much about it. Three weeks and thousands and thousands of pages later I'd read the entire Outlander series and the Fellowship was gathering dust. I finally finished it last week (helped out a by the proximity of my new Kindle) and I have to say I did enjoy it. It was a little rough getting into but the story of good and evil is always relevant. Tolkien was obviously an incredible writer and it's not hard to get lost in his world, imaginative and vast yet strikingly similar to our own.

A few impressive quotes-

"Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." -Elrond

I'm sure this could apply to a million things but to me of course motherhood comes to mind.

"'I wish it need not have happened in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'"

I'm a little bit into the second book (seamless transitional on the Kindle, it's pretty great). Hopefully I'll finish before another Outlander book comes out, haha!)

No comments:

Post a Comment