Friday, August 31, 2012

A Shadow of Night

The sequel to a Discovery of Witches, Shadow of Night was a great read! I neglected my laundry and house in general but gobbled it up in one day. The historical parts of this novel were fascinating (nothing like historical fiction to make you grateful!) although I did think their relationship a little different in this book. I loved the ending and really can't wait for the third book. I almost went to this book signing (before nasty early pregnancy nausea got in the way) but will make a point to go for the third book- I hear she is amazing in person and can't wait. 

See more about the All Souls Trilogy here.

Favorite quotes:

"All children need is love, a grown-up to take responsibility for them, and a soft place to land."

"We women own nothing absolutely, save what lies between our ears. Our virtues belongs first to our father and then to our husband. we dedicate our duty to our family. As soon as we share our thoughts with another, put pen to paper or thread a needle, all that we do and make belong to someone else. So long as she has words and ideas, Annie will always possess something that is hers alone."

"One should fine wholeness in marriage... but it should not be a prison for either party."

"Nightmares are like Master Harriot's star glass. They are a trick of the light, one that makes something distant seem closer and larger than it really is." "Oh." Jack considered Matthew's response. "So even if I see a monster in my dreams, it cannot reach me?" Matthew nodded. "But I will tell you a secret. A dream is a nightmare in reverse. If you dream of someone you love, that person will seem closer, even if far away."

No comments:

Post a Comment