Friday, August 31, 2012

The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon

Of all the Lord John books, this is the one I was dying to read! When I first met Diana Gabaldon she was getting ready to tour for this book so I heard a lot about it then. Of course, I hadn't read any Outlander yet so I didn't know what a can of worms I'd just opened! But this book did not disappoint. Lord John is forced to put personal conflicts aside and work with Jamie to help a friend and prevent some serious political problems. Because the Lord John books take place during the 3rd Outlander book, I 'knew' how Jamie and Lord John would end up eventually but seeing the process was fascinating. There were some really great discussions in this book that left a big impression on me. Although I never agree with the morality of all the characters in these books, they always leave me searching and thinking, grateful for my life and my family and hoping to be and do better each day.

Favorite quotes from the Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon:

"He could feel the child's imagined weight on his shoulders, warm and heavy, smelling faintly of wee and strawberry jam. There were some chains you worse because you wanted to."

" 'No matter how much a man may try to do what is right, the outcome may not be the one that he either foresees or desires. And that's grounds for regret- sometimes verra great regret,' he added more softly, 'but not for everlasting guilt. For it is there we must throw ourselves on God's mercy and hope to receive it.' " So so true!

No comments:

Post a Comment