Friday, August 31, 2012

Lord John and the Brotherhood of the Blade by Diana Gabaldon

The second Lord John book, I was grateful I had it right on hand to follow the first! I'm not sure why it took me so long to read these but I really liked them. This one opens with Lord John's mother remarrying and he and his brother's doubts about the new family and step brother. Lord John and Percy (who Outlander fans know to be a bad apple later on) develop a romantic relationship that's fraught with peril, as homosexuality in the mid 18th century military was exceedingly dangerous and frowned upon. In all honesty I didn't mind flipping pages a few times when things heated up but I couldn't stop thinking about the book and the moral conflicts. Jamie and Lord John have a big talk about sexuality and of course, the perspective of a traditional catholic and a progressive gay man are quite different although they both value family and honor above all else. Although I'm very conservative myself I couldn't help but appreciate both sides and feel for the characters and their seemingly impassable conflict. This was a fascinating read for the history and culture alone and as always made me appreciate my life and freedoms even more.

Favorite Quotes:
"Dead is dead, Major," he said quietly. "It is not a romantic notion. And whatever my own feelings in the matter, my family would not prefer my death to my dishonor. While there is anyone alive with claim upon my protection, my life is not my own." (Jamie knows about death and duty more than anyone, poor guy! Have to admire his convictions!)

"I have loved my wife beyond life itself, and know that love for a gift of God."

No comments:

Post a Comment