Friday, August 31, 2012

Discovery of Witches


The first in the All Souls Trilogy, A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness is another book recommended by the Phenomenally Decisive Book Club. Although I'd checked it out before and never made it past the first little bit, Jules' recommendations haven't let me down so I decided to forge ahead. I ended up LOVING this book and agreed with the comparison to a 'grown up Harry Potter and Twilight'. Similar in the 'lore', witches, vampires and daemons mingle with humans.

Diana Bishop comes from a long line of witches but tries to deny her power until the supernatural world ends up coming to her. Armed with a great vampire, she learns about her true history, family, and priorities in a fight for her life. This book was very smart and well written and researched (the author is a professor). The historical, cultural and scientific references were even entertaining to my husband and we both really liked this book. I always think the supernatural rules and worlds are fascinating. In this 'world', vampires can eat food (but have diets more like wolves), supernatural creatures aren't allowed to mingle or mix races (making a vampire-witch relationship tricky!), and witches have varying gifts that were really interesting. This was a really great read and I can't wait for the last one now (dang sequels!)

Favorite quote:
"Somewhere in the center of my soul, a rusty chain began to unwind. It freed itself, link by link, from where it had rested unobserved, waiting for him. My hands, which had been balled up and pressed against his chest, unfurled with it. The chain continued to drop, to an unfathomable depth where there was nothing but darkness and Matthew. At last it snapped to its full length, anchoring me to a vampire.

No comments:

Post a Comment